Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hello 2011

This year I have been slow to make resolutions. With or without resolutions I feel like 2011 has already been a success because Sadie is weened from nursing and sleeping through the night for the first time in her entire life AND because Trey is potty trained 100 percent. I have to admit I took the lazy route to both successes. I'm just so happy to be at this point.

Trey will be 4 in April so he is definitely on the older end of the potty training spectrum. He was in size 6 diapers and the last box of diapers I bought was Parents Choice. I usually get Luvs (both Luvs and Parents Choice are in purple boxes) When I opened the box I realized that I had the wrong ones because the diapers were purple. Trey is confidant in his masculinity and said "Thats ok Mom, I'll still wear them". I guess if your child can say that he shouldn't be in diapers anyways. The purple diapers became a count down to big boy underwear. Right about Jan 1 we ran out of diapers and into underwear Trey went. After one day of three accidents Tom explained that there would be no wii playing privileges until there were no accidents. Thats what it took and we have had a potty trained boy since.

Sadie has been our doll. But I was horrible about nursing her at night. If she woke up I would get her out of her crib and bring her into bed with me. We both got to sleep that way. But the quality of sleep was questionable. I got really worn down. That led to other struggles. Dec 20th when she turned one I was ready to ween her but I didn 't really want the hormonal roller coaster during Christmas so we waited until after. We moved her crib into Samantha's room and after Samantha fell asleep we moved her to the couch to allow "crying out time" when Sadie woke up in the middle of the night. This went on for about 3 nights. Tom would help out by checking on her and all that. Now 10 days later Sadie is doing an awesome job of sleeping all night long. I'm so happy. I feel like I can now "recover" from a pretty draining year. I get to sleep and dream. I've discovered several nutritional/herbal supplements to take to nourish my body and I feel good.

So hello 2011 it's nice to meet you.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Suzanne I am going through the exact same thing right now. Ruby was potty trained, but when we moved May it totally through her off. She started having accidents and wetting the bed.....I was going crazy with laundry! Finally I put her back in diapers and told her to tell me when she was ready. It took about two days of walking around in a soggy diaper to get back into underwear! We still have our struggles, but it is mainly under control now.

Okay on to the baby sleeping through the night.....Corinne just turned one on Saturday and I have been really bad about the bringing her into bed to nurse her thing. She slept really well from about 2-6 months, but then she kept waking up more and more. I have just decided to let her cry it out, but I have a question for you (yes, you would think I would know this by now) what if she woke up at like 5am would you feed her then or would you let her cry again? I need times. Bummer we don't live closer, we could get together and have big "mother" discussions! I'm glad you are getting some good sleep.

Leo said...

That is so GREAT!!!!
i love sleep. :) It sounds like 2011 is starting out great for everyone in your awesome family!

Landon and Jill Beyler said...

I think the potty training story is a classic!! no Wii priviledges... always the best motivator in our house too!